Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Gifts from God


I have to confess that I feel rather pampered right now. I want this feeling to last for the next 4 months while we finish our schooling, but experience tells me this feeling of joy and relaxation will last until Monday at 9 ( for that is when we start up school again and when my patience will run low).

I love vacations and especially the ones where you don't do anything. I can handle a day of sitting in my pj's reading a book and telling the kids to find something to eat, but after one day like that I need to feel like I have accomplished something.

I have always struggled with truly enjoying vacations because a little of me has felt guilt over the privilege of the get away while millions of people are starving in the world. Part of me thinks the money and time could have been better spent than on my leisure. BUT, that is not what God says, "He makes me lie down in green pastures: He leads me beside quiet waters: He restores my soul." Psalms 23:2-3a

God has restored my soul. Vacations remind me of the great and infinite God I serve. All good things are from Him and ought to be praised. So I take this time to publicly praise God for such a time as this. But what kind of servant would I be if I praised the good without thanking the difficult, hard, tiresome times as well for they all bring us closer to the One we love, Jesus!

I know there are difficult times ahead, I'm a mother of three soon to be mother of five, two of which won't look anything like me or speak my language, at first. But love is a verb not a passing emotion. God loved me when I didn't deserve it and I will love these children from Rwanda because He gave them to me.

So this vacation is nice for now, but my joy is found in Christ and so I can feel rested in Him even in the darkest times of my failure when there is no sunny beach around. To God be the glory forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment