Thursday, March 18, 2010

Enjoying our time before the storm!?

I've had some very well meaning people mention how I should enjoy this time before we receive our children from Rwanda. Last Thursday we Fed-Ex our dossier to our adoption agency and the ball is now out of our court. So now we just wait, could be six months before we hear anything (I'm being optimistic) or more likely seven to nine months before we even get a picture of who our kids are.

So, back to the enjoying my time. It didn't hit me right away why that concept rubbed me the wrong way so much. People are trying to be kind and I know it's their only way to offer comfort for such a lengthy process, but honestly, if I really just wanted to enjoy my free time I never would have wanted to adopt in the first place. I never would have wanted kids if free time was so important to me. Children are a gift from the Lord, but they are a sacrifice also. Your time is not your own and truthfully was it ever really yours.

I've noticed in my own sinful heart that the more free time I have to indulge my wants the more free time I want. Breaks are nice and restfulness is sweet, but if I have too much "me" time I become more selfish. When time is short it forces me to be more focused and do the things that matter. I don't want to sit around for the next 9 months and wear out my laptop from checking on emails. I just want to get started on this next chapter of our lives. But for now I want to stay diligent and serve God in whatever opportunity He brings our way. 9 months can pass quickly especially when your busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment