Saturday, January 23, 2010

Baskets


2 months ago I signed up to be a basket consultant for The Rwandan Basket Company. This company and the founders are one of the reasons we wanted to adopt from Rwanda. Tracy and Greg Stone started a non-profit organization out of Seattle to help the people of Rwanda and especially the women and children. They lead Rwanda Partners, look them up they are pretty neat, and out of that began the basket company.
Their stories drove me to tears and left me wanting to do more. They have helped women learn the weaving arts that their grandmothers used to do and then give them a broader market for their product. I've bought baskets before from other companies, but never have I bought something so practical and helpful.
Every basket you buy comes with a card and picture of one of the weavers. They usually explain how they had no income to take care of their children and now by weaving they do. This is not a free hand out or charity case. These women work and want to work to feed their families. Most of the families have been devastated by the genocide that occurred 15 years ago.
In 1994 almost a million people were slaughtered in 100 days. No one helped them. It breaks my heart every time I watch a documentary or movie about what took place there. This country has gotten under my skin and now that I know what I know I can't turn away.
I love these baskets and I hope some of you out there may love them too. I will host parties at anyone house and would love to introduce as many people to Rwanda as I can. Anything I make from these baskets will go to helping us adopt our 2 children. This company is not interested in making anyone rich, but in feeding and caring for those in need. These women are already paid for their baskets, but the more the demand the more women have a chance to care for their families. Please call me or look for your self at www.rwandabaskets.com

No comments:

Post a Comment