Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Baggage Girl

Well, we changed our minds. After much prayer and consideration Jesse and I asked Melanie if she wanted to come with us to Rwanda. I know it was a silly question, but Jesse videoed her response and as soon as he teaches me how to edit it I'll post it. Actually, she will be the video girl, but that wasn't as catchy as baggage girl.

At first I didn't know if we should bring her because I didn't want Trent to feel left out. But after talking to him and getting a good sense that he doesn't care if he stays home with Izzy we then thought about finances. I feared we didn't have the funds to take her or if it was the right use of such funds if we did have it. I just kept thinking she's going to be so helpful and what a great experience for her.

She actually told us she thought she was going to get to go because she was saving up her money to pay her way! Sweet child. She wants to work to earn money to go to Rwanda and she's only 11. She's not looking for handouts, but wants to earn it, she amazes me. She wants to babysit, pull weeds in the summer, mow lawns, you name it she wants to do it. I admire her enthusiasm.

I take great courage in the life of George Muller, a 1800's God fearing man who ran an orphanage in England without ever once soliciting. He was a man who prayed and believed. He wanted God to receive all the credit for every good thing at the orphanage and so never asked for a handout, but prayed for every last penny. The children never went to bed hungry because God provided for His children everyday in every way. God was glorified in all of George Muller's life and I pray will be glorified in all that we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment